Friday, February 10, 2006

A bit about fiction. No, really.

Now, while I love novels and short stories, and I firmly believe that in great works are great Truths, I don't think I would ever call a novel 'Journalism'. Unless, of course, it suited my propaganda needs.
From the New York Times
The American Association of Petroleum Geologists takes a broader view. It is presenting its annual journalism award this year to Michael Crichton, the science fiction writer whose latest book, "State of Fear," dismisses global warming as a largely imaginary threat embraced by malignant scientists for their own ends.

"It is fiction," conceded Larry Nation, communications director for the association. "But it has the absolute ring of truth."


I assume that the NRA will soon be giving the good Govenor Of California an award for his reporting on the use of high caliber weaponry and various explosive devices.
(please, for the love of all that is holy, tell me they haven't)
And I expect some nuclear power organization will be presenting a trophy to Stan Lee for showing how radiation can expand our lives (exactly how many Marvel comics heroes were created through gamma/cosmic/whatever rays?)

Pardon me...I need a dictionary. Obviously I've been using the term 'journalism' incorrectly all these years

No comments: