Wednesday, February 08, 2006

TV on DVD

I love TV.
I really do.
I don't watch as much as I used to for various reasons, but I still love it.
What I love more is TV on DVD.
There is little I like to do more here in the basement than watch an entire season on DVD.
However, that comes with a real drawback.
Lots of shows that are fantastic once a week (House,for example) start to show their flaws when watched hour-after-hour, back-to-back.
House finds interesting case.
House tries a cure.
Patient has siezure (apparently, if you go into a hospital and they don't diagnose you correctly in 15 minutes, you invariably have a seizure).
House tries a few other things while insulting people.
Siezures.
House comes up with fantastic, brilliant diagnosis.
Patient siezes.
Patient gets better.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love House. I like the characters and adore the dialog. But I can't help but wish they'd come up with a better, more open structure.
I haven't watched this season, as I have heard it is pretty weak, though they are trying to get things away from the Law And Order-esque formula. Hopefully, they'll pull it together.

Is this a fundemental weakness in stand-alone episodic TV?

Its the complete opposite of Battlestar Galactica. Which I also love. BG seems to really get into the whole cinema verite/wartime journalism thing. Which is keeping my interest so far. I've just finished season 1, and will be starting season 2. The question: can they maintain and grow. There's lots of seeds planted, but thats almost the easy part. If cool ideas were a sure sign of success, then I'd be rich.
You'll know the moment that becomes true cause you won't see my lazy ass here again. The basement will open up a number of outter offices including Rio, Sydney, and three in Mexico (have I mentioned we love mexico?).
I believe I'll talk about food tomorrow.

No comments: